Position Title: Membership and Community Development Specialist
Reports to: Membership and Community Cultivation Director
Under the guidance of a Membership and Community Development Director, the Membership and Community Development Specialist develops, retains, and increases girl and adult membership in assigned regional areas. The Specialist recruits and provides ongoing support to volunteers; assists in developing and implementing plans for membership extension in all markets; represents and extends Girl Scouting in the community through presentations, collaborative efforts, and networking; and ensures the Girl Scout Leadership Experience is accessible within assigned area or for specific demographic groups.
· Ensure the development and implementation of an organization-wide membership strategy that result in the achievement of membership-growth goals.
· Recruits and works with local volunteers to ensure that all girls and adults are informed of all membership options
· With functional manager develop a recruitment and retention strategy based on Strategic Learning priorities and the four membership strategies for growth set by GSUSA and review quarterly
· Partners with Director of Membership to ensure visibility of Girl Scouting in order to establish a strong Girl Scout presence within our under/unserved communities.
· Determine replication plan for increased sustainability
· Execute girl and adult recruitment strategies focused on building and maintaining a diverse girl and adult membership through community relationship building and networking with parent organizations, schools, corporations, youth groups, and service organizations.
· Collaborate with volunteer development to define and identify volunteer recruitment opportunities to ensure frequent volunteer recruitment activities across the peninsula
· Actively represents and extends Girl Scouting in communities through presentations, collaborative efforts, and networking.
· Guide the development of sustainable collaborative relationships with community organizations
· Collaborate with community agencies, schools, etc. to tie their needs into our goals
· Identifies and supports volunteers, throughout the council’s jurisdiction, who recruit specific target audiences at various times to meet membership strategy objectives.
· Create a community profile on service units of responsibility in collaboration with SUM and Organizer
· Identify adults and older girls for council level opportunities such as Short Term and Long Term Troops, ST Members, Peer to Peer Program Facilitation, Program Facilitators across all program, etc
· Collaborates with the Volunteerism and Program teams to develop and execute effective girl and adult retention strategies through all pathways, resulting in achievement of membership growth goals
· Offer girls multiple pathway choices
· Follow up on Troops Due to Register
· Succession/bridging planning for all girls and adults
· Analyzes membership data and becomes proficient in girl and adult related trends, multicultural data and demographics, marketing and sales techniques, effective communication, and knowledge of communities and organizations in order to:
· Effectively implement a strategic membership recruitment plan
· Understand and have thorough knowledge of the demographics of the community: new and underdeveloped membership markets within respective area of responsibility and council's jurisdiction
· Identify key contacts in school districts and create collaboration agreement with them
· Identify and research competitors and potential partners
· BA or BS degree in Education, Marketing, Communication or equivalent and/or demonstrated experience in youth program management.
· Experience in problem solving, conflict resolution, time management and the ability to remain flexible in response to changing situations and environments.
· Ability to work in a team based environment and empower girls to lead activities, learn by doing, and cooperate with others.
· Demonstrated experience in recruiting and working with volunteers.
· Demonstrated proficiency in developing and delivering presentations. Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills required.
· Ability to understand and learn specific scientific programs to share with girls the wonders of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM)
· Knowledge of Girl Scout Leadership Experience preferred.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
· Must have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and prioritize work while managing multiple deadlines.
· Excellent organizational skills.
· Ability to analyze data and produce required statistical reports.
· Demonstrated commitment and ability to interact with diverse populations.
· Ability to work a flexible schedule, including many nights and weekends.
· Ability to lift no more than 20 lbs. without assistance.