Position Title: Volunteer Development Specialist
Reports to: Volunteer Manager
The Volunteer Development Specialist coordinates the implementation of all aspects of the council’s volunteer development strategy in assigned region(s) to include: screening, placement, development, recruitment, retention, and recognition. She/he is a member of the council volunteer development team that develops and implements all components of an integrated volunteer development system, including the Single-Entry System. She/he makes recommendations regarding short- and long-term volunteerism strategies. The specialist assists in the development of volunteer resources and the implementation of the Single-Entry System.
· Support the process of volunteer role planning and development with all departments.
o Identifies volunteer learning needs across pathways and volunteer roles
o Defines clear accountabilities for staff in the management and support of volunteers
o Advocate for volunteer-led delivery of programs and services
o In collaboration with Marketing and IT, infuse choice and flexibility into all communication to potential and existing members
· Supports the recruitment of volunteers from diverse and emerging populations using multiple and innovative strategies.
o Collaborate with Membership and Program Departments to define and identify volunteer recruitment opportunities to ensure frequent volunteer recruitment events/activities across the peninsula resulting in membership growth
o Ensure volunteers are recruited, processed, selected, and placed based on interests and abilities, and are prepared and continually supported
o Ensure that girls and adults are present at recruitment events to share their stories
o Identify community resources for potential volunteers
· Collaborate with manager to develop, implement and oversee all components of an efficient and effective Volunteer Management System, including recruitment, screening, appointment, on-boarding, preparation and support, recognition, evaluation, reengagement, and tracking and reporting of all volunteer related data.
· Coordinates with Membership, Program, Marketing, Fund Development and other council departments to increase Girl Scouts’ visibility in the community and foster interest in volunteer opportunities.
o Partner with youth organizations and share the benefits of the GSLE so they can deliver it
o On-going evaluation of volunteers to track satisfaction, retention and opportunities for progression within the organization
o In partnership with key volunteers and staff members, develops community relationships, media contacts, and marketing plans for volunteer recruitment.
· Collaborates with all departments to ensure that role specific volunteer learning opportunities and resources are created and deliverable in multiple ways.
o Collaborate with regional volunteers to ensure continuous training is available on the council and regional level
· Recognize volunteers in formal and informal ways throughout the year, creating a culture of appreciation in which all volunteers feel valued on the regional and council level.
- BA or BS degree in Education, Marketing, Business Administration or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge and experience with volunteer management systems.
- Strong leadership skills to motivate and retain high-performing, satisfied volunteers.
- Ability to work in a team based environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing and implementing adult learning curriculum.
- Knowledge of Girl Scout Leadership Experience preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. (Word, Excel, and Outlook. Delete)
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive information and manage conflict.
- Must have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and prioritize work while managing multiple deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to analyze data and produce required statistical reports.
- Successfully pass criminal background check and search of central registry.
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to interact with diverse populations.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including many nights and weekends.
- Ability to lift no more than 20 lbs. without assistance.
- Knowledge of risk management.
- Knowledge of outcomes management.